Finding the Perfect Statement Piece for Your HomeJune 19, 2019
How to Find the Perfect Statement Piece for Your Home
A statement piece in home décor can add a playful twist to your home, show off your unique style and even act as a conversation starter. However, if you are trying to decorate your home without the help of an interior designer, it may prove difficult to find a statement décor piece or even know where to look.
Where to Shop
To find a unique piece for your home, try searching for home décor pieces at:
- Flea markets
- Antique stores
- Secondhand stores (and places like Craigslist and Offerup; try using keywords like “unique” to help)
- Artisan shops (or online: i.e. Etsy)
- Boutique stores
What to Look For
A statement piece is all about drawing the eye’s attention. These guidelines can help you find the perfect addition to your home:
- Something Unique When you see something that is different than what you see in a typical home, it can be surprising and intriguing. To add something unique to your home, consider repurposing a piece into something new or searching antique stores and flea markets.
- Something Colorful If most of your home is decorated in neutrals, adding something colorful can make a statement. Pick a color that resonates with you and aligns with the vibe you want to create in your home.
- Something Big When something is oversized or grand, it quickly makes an impact. Since many statement décor pieces often have the sole purpose of being aesthetically pleasing, make sure you are thinking about the space this piece will be taking up in your home before you purchase. Your home should be comfortable for your family first and foremost. One way to make a big impact without taking up valuable square footage is hanging an oversized piece of art.
- Something with a Bold Pattern A pattern can be unexpected and showcase your individual style. When used in large doses, like wallpaper, a pattern can shift the entire feel of a room.
- Something Outside Your Normal Style If you are drawn to a particular type of style, adding a statement décor piece that is different can infuse personality into your home. Interior design is like cooking—a room is more exciting when there is more than one flavor. Thoughtfully adding multiple design styles in your home can make your home into a perfectly flavored concoction.
Examples of Popular Statement Pieces
Some popular statement décor pieces that can work in many homes include:
- A big mirror
- An intriguing light fixture
- An accent chair
- A collection
- An item that showcases your passion (your well-loved piano, art easel, guitar, surfboard, etc.)
Finding a statement décor piece for your home can be a process. However, when you find the perfect piece, it will add interest to your home and be a unique reflection of your style. Get more interior design tips, like how to celebrate summer in your home through your design choices, on the Perry Homes blog.