5 Must-Try Breakfast Tacos in Austin, TexasNovember 08, 2019
The breakfast taco—it is a cheap, on-the-go morning staple that Texans know and love. Are you on the hunt for the best breakfast tacos in Austin, Texas? Lucky for you, we have compiled a list of the hottest spots you should try the next time you are in the mood for a convenient morning meal.
The Anatomy of a Breakfast Taco
A breakfast taco is simply a soft tortilla—flour most often—filled with a combination of savory breakfast items sprinkled with hot sauce or a salsa of your choosing. These tasty treats are typically small—one or two make the perfect-sized meal that is easy to eat in a car or on a bus.
While breakfast tacos are popular throughout the state, some of the best ones are found in Austin—the home of the breakfast taco. Before we can dive into the best spots to grab breakfast tacos in Austin, it is important to understand the factors that make up a truly noteworthy bite. Die-hard breakfast burrito lovers and the food’s toughest critics often judge for:
- Tortilla: A flour tortilla is the base of every authentic Austin breakfast taco. The best ones are freshly pressed and come hot off the griddle. They should be soft, chewy and barely crispy, with sections of the tortilla giving way to pockets of air.
- Eggs: Scrambled eggs should be well-seasoned and moist. Dry, under-seasoned scrambled eggs have no place in a classic Austin breakfast taco.
- Bacon: Whether it is chopped and incorporated into the eggs or laid down as a whole strip on top, bacon should be present in every bite.
- Cheese: Cheese should complement, not dominate, the dish. Most breakfast tacos include shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack cheese or a blend of both.
- Potatoes: The potatoes should be seasoned and cooked through to avoid bland, half-raw potatoes. Some restaurants chop the potatoes finely while others slice them thin or mash them. True fans of the food often have a strong preference they will defend as the only way to build a solid breakfast taco base.
The Best Breakfast Tacos in Austin
Since the world of breakfast tacos is infinite in this city, we gathered a list of the most highly-regarded taco joints in town for you to sample. Take a look!
Homemade tortillas, fresh ingredients and a wide array of delicious salsas make Veracruz All Natural a favorite among Austinites. The taco that put them on the map—Migas Originales—was featured on the Food Network as one of the five best tacos in America. Veracruz All Natural also offers a vegetarian option called La Reyna, filled with hearty ingredients like mushrooms, carrots and spinach.
Valentina’s offers three customizable breakfast tacos packed with traditional ingredients like eggs, beans, potatoes and bacon cushioned in an oversized, hand-rolled flour tortilla. They are best known for The Real Deal Holyfield, which is comprised of a fried egg, roasted potatoes and refried beans.
This Austin taco establishment has quickly gained attention due to its unique menu and quirky promotions. Approximately half of the menu is named after loyal patrons and visitors are encouraged to craft their own out-of-the-box creations. If you are looking for a meal with a kick, the King George is sure to turn on the heat—it includes a creamy sriracha sauce among other spicy additions.
Hand-patted flour and blue corn tortillas make Dai Due Taqueria stand out among its competitors. In addition to delicious breakfast tacos, the restaurant also offers paletas and refreshing aguas frescas made with in-season fruits, vegetables and herbs. A must-try is the Wild Boar Chorizo and Egg—wild boar chorizo is combined with crispy potatoes, refried black beans and your choice of fresh-made tortilla.
While Rosita’s is known for its al pastor pork, the homemade tortillas and salsas they offer have grabbed the attention of many local taco enthusiasts. When you go, try the Chorizo and Egg taco loaded with tasty, seasoned chorizo and fluffy eggs. If you cannot make it to the restaurant, DoorDash will deliver these delectable tacos to your home or office.
There is certainly no shortage of local spots to grab a breakfast taco in Austin—and with so many options to choose from, you are sure to find a new favorite you can easily add to your morning route! Are you on the hunt for the perfect new home in the Austin area? Explore move-in ready Perry Homes properties to find the dream home that is waiting just for you!